Monday, November 15, 2010

Update 2--With Pics!


                                                 On the trek to Kemantian
                                                     Local method of hauling stuff.
                                                The bus we endured for five hours.
                  Our view from the clinic at approx. 1200ft. The mountain in the distance is approximately 7000ft.
                                                      The view from the lowlands.
                                               Our bed outfitted with mosquito netting.
Manungan Meniklem (Good Morning) from Kemantian!
We have been here about two weeks and have thoroughly enjoyed  the new sites, foods, schedule, and especially the people. Our day starts at 0545 with roosters in chorus around the village. At that time we have prayer and singing with the other missionaries, then we have personal devotions followed by breakfast at 0700. Breakfast usually consists of leftover rice from supper that we fry up with an occasional egg or vege meat. Sometimes we are blessed with bananas  or palmello’s (large grapefruit) for breakfast also. Then, it’s off to the klinik (clinic) at 0800.
At the clinic we try to say things like “Enu sakit mu?” (What is your sickness?). I have noticed that Jon takes a more aggressive approach to speaking the native language. He speaks loudly with confidence, knowing he is mispronouncing every other word. Many of the native women will refuse to answer him when they are visiting the clinic for birth control pills. This is most likely because of the shy, soft-spoken nature of the locals and Jon’s straight-forward approach with mispronounced words. My approach to speaking the language has not been as persevering, but I usually get the information I need too. God is blessing us with wisdom and the ability to learn the language. The more our language skills have improved the greater help we have been in the clinic. Jon did 20 History and Physicals today and is learning how to diagnose and treat malaria, meanwhile, I have been stuck in the benwa (hut) experiencing malaria personally. The mosquitoes must have known I was coming and bit me as soon as I stepped off the plane! Jon says it’s because I’m so sweet. This is one time I wish I wasn’t sweet! My case has been fairly tolerable; just three days of sakit ulu (headache), liglinugen (dizziness), sukusu (nausea), pegegnewan (fever), and iked iked (cough). Though the week has been trying with malaria, wonderful things have also happened. The news of Julie (Jon’s sister) and Tyler’s engagement has been very exciting for us! Also, we have been quite joyous over the discovery that Jon has been accepted into medical school! These awesome events have helped make the week with malaria much better.
Back to the schedule. At noon we break for lunch (fresh rice and a topping; usually siutey, a potato-like vegetable) and then we do language learning from 1300 – 1500. Language learning is an interesting process when you don’t know how to say anything.  We have learned to say “Enu atin?” (What is that?) and then point to an object.  The patient locals then say what the object is and we try to repeat the foreign word.  Many children gather around to listen and laugh at our kindergarten attempts at pronunciations.  You have to go about the whole ordeal with a light heart because it is very humbling and humorous all at the same time. 
Supper is around 1700 (Rice or pasta).  That is the majority of our daily routine. Tuesday night is team meeting and Wednesday night is prayer meeting.  My bedtime is usually around 1900 because we don’t have any electricity after the sun sets at 1800 (6:00pm). Jon usually stays up a little later to exercise and read.  Life has a wonderful simplicity here that I really appreciate. Though we are usually busy here, it is a different busy when compared with the race we know in the states. We thank God daily for this opportunity and also thank all our friends and family for your prayers.
With love from the jungle,
Becca & Jon
(The high humidity makes it very difficult to take a focused picture.)

3 comments:

  1. Jon & Becca,

    Tyler and I are at a nursing conference and luckily I was able to get Internet so I thought I'd be the first to comment on your blog! I love your pictures and Becca I love the way you write, makes me feel like I'm there! I am so proud of you two and I'm so glad you guys have this opportunity. And Jonathan congrats on making ETSU, when I got the mail I started screaming and jumping and called everyone! Becca I hope you feel better soon. Goodluck learning the language. You both are in our prayers and we're counting down the days till we get to see you! Love you. Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man I'm super excited for you guys!

    "Jon takes a more aggressive approach...He speaks loudly with confidence, knowing he is mispronouncing every other word." This gave me great joy reading this.. lol

    Keep us updated, this is great stuff!!

    Todd

    ReplyDelete